Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Waffle French Toast! MMMM

Cyrus and I LOVE breakfast! I always have and I am so happy to see that Cyrus has the same love for it! The best thing about breakfast is yummy gooey-sweet breakfast food! I LOVE french toast but when I make it at home it never turns out great. Someone suggested using day old french loaves. This is such a great idea, however, I am always paranoid (many of you know that I tend to be ubber paranoid anyway) about cooking it enough! It always ends up too soggy in the middle! SOLUTION! I saw this in a healthy mama e-mail the other day and had to try it! Make french toast IN YOUR WAFFLE IRON! Yes the best of two world! We tried it this morning and it was a delicious hit! Two thumbs way up! Here is what I did:

Half a loaf of day old french bread sliced in about 1 and 1/2 inch slices
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk (or milk substitute, never tried soy milk but rice milk works well)
1 tbsp Vanilla
Waffle iron (we have a round Belgium style one if you have a regular one you might want to make your slices a little thinner)

Beat eggs, milk and vanilla in bowl or plate big enough to accommodate your bread slices.
Soak the bread slices well on both sides.
Put one slice at a time into your waffle iron and press it down (this sort of reminded me of jumping on a suitcase that is too full to try and make it zip closed) WARNING watch out for steam! I sort of burnt my fingers on the first piece.
When it is good and brown on both sides take it out with a fork... if it doesn't slide right out it is not done yet!
Finish up your pieces and enjoy!
We had ours with butter and honey, but I am sure it would be amazing with syrup and/or powdered sugar! Mmm maybe with strawberries or bananas too!
I stuck my extra pieces in the freezer so I will update on how well it reheats!
Make sure you wipe your waffle iron out so you don't have any egg crud in it the next time you make waffles!
Sooooo what are you waiting for?!?! Go make some and enjoy!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment